Thursday, May 10, 2012

Another New Normal

Well hi there, lovely readers!

It's always so daunting to write a new blog post after taking so much time off. Where do I start? How do I jump back in? It's like a conversation with a friend you haven't talked to in a while. It may take a few minutes (or in the case of my wonderful friends, a few seconds) to warm up- but after that, it's like no time has passed.

So hopefully that paragraph counted as the warm-up! Let's jump right in. Life has certainly thrown me a few curve balls in the past few weeks.

At the end of April, I was laid off from my job. Have any of you ever gone through that? To be perfectly honest, it was absolutely heart-breaking. Losing a job, feeling that terrible sense of insecurity is so hard. I left my car parked in the garage for two straight days, not wanting to use a single ounce of gas. And when I finally started driving again, I would pull into my garage and start crying, looking at my precious house and wondering, what am I doing to do?

And that was just the first weekend!

Aside from the feeling of insecurity, I was also heart-broken. It was like being dumped. You feel such a sense of loss, an era ending. Wondering what did I do wrong, what could I have done better?

The truth of the matter is this: my former company has been- and continues- to struggle. And I say that in the kindest way possible. I learned so much there, made some of the best friends of my life there. I truly became a real adult during my time there- and a real producer, too.

Coming to that realization took me a few days. I found a spot across the river that I would run to every day last week- then sit and just spend some quiet time in prayer, often in tears. But as the days wore on, I felt stronger and more certain that this was all part of a bigger plan. I found my confidence again, my sense of pride. Nothing- and no one- has the power to strip you of those things.

Last week, I interviewed for, was offered and accepted a job with Fox News as the 9pm producer. It's still such a wild thing, how quickly life changed on me- and I feel SO blessed to have this opportunity! Back in TV- can't believe it! But I'm thrilled. So happy, so thankful. I started yesterday. My "unemployment" lasted four days; I know not everyone can say that.

Being an adult isn't easy. My 20's have been so wonderful- I've fallen in love, pursued my career, bought a car, bought a house. My 20's have also been a decade of serious change and growth; I've had my heart broken, lost a pet, lost a job.

No, being an adult isn't easy. And despite the endless support from friends and family- no person can come in and "rescue" you. Success is relative, but hard work, loyalty, and finding joy from a deeper source are invaluable discoveries I've making over the course of this decade.

God is opening my heart right now in so many ways- to change, to forgiveness, to new chapters, new beginnings and another "new normal."

It's a wild ride- but I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 comment:

  1. wow!!!! Didn't see that post coming! But that is indeed thrilling that you are going to be producing the 9pm news on Fox. I'll tune in!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...